Written by: Hilla Shaviv
Introduction to Vaginal Health
Maintaining a healthy pH balance in the vagina is essential for overall well-being and comfort. An imbalance in vaginal pH can cause discomfort, infections, and other health issues. Luckily, there is now a groundbreaking solution that not only measures your pH levels but also enables you to monitor them monthly. To help you maintain your vaginal pH balance, identify any changes or abnormalities, and alert you when there’s cause for concern, so you can seek appropriate medical advice and treatment, if necessary, I would like to introduce you to Tulipon.
Understanding Vaginal pH
The vagina has a natural acidity level with a pH ranging from 3.5 to 4.5, which plays a crucial role in preserving a healthy population of good bacteria that combat infections. Nevertheless, various factors, such as menstruation, sexual activity, or the use of specific products, can disturb the delicate balance and cause an increase in pH levels.
The Importance of Vaginal pH
A proper vaginal pH balance is crucial for various reasons: Maintaining a healthy pH level can support fertility.
- Preventing infections: The acidic pH prevents the growth of harmful bacteria, lowering the risk of bacterial vaginosis or yeast infections.
- Ensuring comfort: Maintaining a proper pH balance promotes comfort and decreases symptoms like itching, burning, or abnormal discharge.
- Fertility: A balanced pH can create an ideal environment for sperm survival, which can increase the likelihood of conception.
Tulipon, a groundbreaking hygiene device, allows for the measurement of vaginal pH while simultaneously managing monthly bleeding, providing a one-of-a-kind capability.
How to Measure your vaginal pH with the Tulipon
Each pack of Tulipon includes a pH paper unit, which should be used during the last few days of the menstrual cycle to avoid contamination with menstrual fluid. It is crucial to clean both the cervix and the vaginal entrance before inserting the Tulipon.
- Insertion: Tulipon is inserted using a specialized applicator, similar to a tampon, but with the added feature of a pH meter that should face toward the abdomen during insertion.
- Easy to use: After inserting the Tulipon applicator, users can check the color of the dot on the applicator, by comparing to the pH scale on the wrapper in use. Then, the applicator can be immersed in a glass of water for 6 to 12 hours for complete dissolution before being flushed down the toilet.
- Monitoring: Users can monitor pH levels over time to gain understanding into their vaginal health.
Self-testing vaginal pH at home is commonly done by women interested in monitoring their vaginal pH levels. The Tulipon applicator has been clinically tested and FDA-approved for its high accuracy; however, it is important to ensure that menstrual flow is not measured while using it to measure pH levels. To properly execute this procedure, insert the pH Tulipon when the flow is at its lowest and ensure to thoroughly clean the vaginal opening.
Interpreting the results
As previously stated, the typical pH level of the vagina ranges between 3.5 and 4.5. Once the app’s algorithm analyzes the pH level based on the image, the user will receive a reading through the app. Any pH level measures above 4.6 could indicate one of three potential scenarios:
- Infections: Four potential types of pathogens or infections exist:
- Bacterial Vaginosis: Bacterial vaginosis results when the vaginal flora, the natural defense of the vagina, is impaired due to various reasons leading to an overgrowth of the natural bacterial habitat within the vaginal cavity. The most frequent causes are gonorrhea, chlamydia, and gardnerella.
- Fungi, also known as yeast infections, are best exemplified by Candida.
- Parasites are often associated with Trichomoniasis, which is commonly transmitted through sexual intercourse.
- Viruses are another category of microorganisms. HPV, HIV, and Herpes are the most prevalent sexually transmitted viruses. Like parasites, they can be transmitted through sexual contact.
- Douching frequently may disturb the natural balance of the vagina, leading to abnormal pH levels.
- Sexual Activity: Semen has a higher pH level, which can temporarily change the pH level of the vagina during sexual activity. However, this effect is typically temporary.
Infections are usually accompanied by other symptoms, such as:
- Abnormal vaginal discharge, such as an increase in volume, change in color, or odor.
- Vaginal area feels itchy or burning.
- Discomfort or pain during intercourse.
Restoring vaginal pH balance
If you’re unsure of what is causing an increase in your body’s pH level, try some things at home while waiting for your doctor’s appointment:
- Probiotics: Eating yogurt and other probiotic-rich foods can encourage healthy bacteria growth in the vagina.
- Hydration: Keeping hydrated helps maintain a balanced pH.
- Harsh substances: Stay away from scented soaps, douches, and other products that can disrupt vaginal pH.
- Stop douching: It’s best to avoid douching since the vagina has a natural cleaning mechanism and is a one-way valve. Avoid douching or cleaning the vaginal cavity as it can harm its natural pH.
- Also, refrain from using absorbent materials like tampons or non-woven devices as they can increase the pH level when in contact with acidic substances like ointments or liquids, similar to sexual intercourse. There is no clinical proof of a correlation between absorbent materials and vaginal cavities. Therefore, it makes sense to assume that using a tampon during menstruation can increase the pH level in the vaginal cavity. This is because the tampon contains highly acidic menstrual fluid that stays in contact with the vaginal tissues for an extended time. This increase in pH levels can harm the natural flora and defenses of the vaginal cavity.
- Avoid sexual activity: If your vaginal pH remains elevated, even if you don’t have symptoms such as vaginal itching or bad odor, you may have contracted an STI. The only way to be 100% certain you won’t pass it on is to abstain from sexual contact, including oral sex. You should see your OBGYN or primary care physician to diagnose an STI correctly.
Check your pH level with Tulipon every month to see if the above methods are working. If your pH level remains high, consult a healthcare professional.
Vaginal health is crucial to a woman’s overall well-being. Keeping the proper pH balance is essential to avoid discomfort and potential health issues. Thanks to Tulipon, women can effortlessly track their vaginal pH balance and act promptly to restore it. With Tulipon, you can take charge of your vaginal health. This innovative hygiene device provides comfort, convenience, and the means to safeguard your vaginal health.